Amore y Pace

26.4.06

band-aid wrappers, crap old pens from your console, old GAP receipts, and Adam Duritz: keys to networking in the big city

(sir wells, this title is for you)

i've been pulling over a lot lately to talk on my cell phone. this is revolutionary for me given that i've perfected the art of holding my cell, shifting gears, changing CD's of my audio book all managing not to kill pedestrians. but as of late, i've decided to pull over.

there's this job i really want. no, let me reframe: there is a program who needs me to continue growing and expanding in new directions. so i'm trying to convince them anyway (if you're a person who prays to anything, please use this on my behalf on may 1). i keep leaving voice mails for people i don' t know to get connected as needed. now i have an interview.

this whole process has felt like riding a thrill ride for the first time in the dark, and kara at least knows i HATE thrill rides (and the dark sometimes). with every call i have no idea what the hell i'm doing. i talk to mr. so-and-so and tell him mr. something-or-other's name who i know through his sister-in-law whom i work with. mr. so-and-so says "oh, you know mr.something-or-other? oh yes, he's a great guy i love working with him." i say, "oh yes, but can you help me talk with ms. queen-bee-of-latina-work? i want to get connected with her!" and mr. so-and-so gives me her extension.

then i call and leave messages, spelling my name, leaving my phone number, requesting to hear about further career opportunities and blah blah blah. i do this, every day, all day in between breaks from my job where i keep asking around if anyone knows people at this university.

and when do they call back?? they call back when you're driving home in the traffic of the posh downtown suburb you live in. they call when you're at home packing up all your crap to move and your peeing in the bathroom ring ring. they call back while your itunes is blaring August and Everything After and your writing their call back extension on the only piece of scrap you can find: a bandaid wrapper.

they better be convinced they need me.

9 Comments:

Blogger Brian T. Murphy said...

well I’ll admit I’m a bit sad that I wasn’t referenced regarding your title.

good luck with the new job and whatnot. I change jobs about every 11 months, it makes life interesting, and keeps my expertise low.

august and everything after is one of my top 5 favorite records of all time, and the counting crows are some of the coolest, kindest people in the world.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Clint Wells said...

Excellent blog title. The first Counting Crows song I REALLY ever heard was "Anna Begins". I think it still may be my most favorite song of theirs...although "Up All Night" is still at the top of the list.

Also, you refered to me as sir wells. Does this mean I am knighted? If so, that is totally awesome. My wife will be so impressed.

When my phone rings while I'm in the bathroom I friggen answer it.

Also, I can't gurantee I'll pray on that date (never too good at scheduled praying) but I did just ask the big guy up their to give you some grace for your interview. hopefully it won't spoil before the 1st.

2:24 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Willis, LCPC, CADC said...

senor murphy, los siento! estas unos de los persones favoritos en el mundo de web-log. a la proxima ves, voy a poner una "shout out" a ti.

for translation: ask sir knight wells. the last of the great.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Brian T. Murphy said...

¡tíreme en la cara! ¡odio mi madre! ¡tengo gusto de comer a bebés! ¡los caballos son mejores apagado como pegamento! la guerra es buena.

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the happy birthday!!!

want to chat sometime. feels like its been forever since we've talked. love you! tiff

7:49 AM  
Blogger brett said...

"step out the front door like a ghost into a fog where no one notices the contrast of white on white"

adam duritz is a lyrical master!

12:18 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Willis, LCPC, CADC said...

brett: agreed:) welcome to the blog. it's nice havin' ya.

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

am i behind, or do you know about the weepies by now? they're the blast of the moment on my itunes. just love 'em. you're life is so exciting right now!

8:09 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

ask sir knight wells? he doesn't know anything about spanish...or was that a joke and i missed it?

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home