Amore y Pace

2.4.06

maybe esau is my cousin

i was thinking about how easy it is to trade your birthright for a bowl of stew. it seems that if some of us were honest enough, we'd admit that we doubt that Ps 34:8 is true. we doubt that if we tasted to see, the Lord would be good.

when i was talking with kara the other day, we were talking about dating people w/o our belief system, taking jobs w/o prayerful consideration, the state of the world, and following our natural inclinations for self-gratification in whatever form that may be. to be honest, there are just times when i feel like esau, when maybe i think my birthright or the blessing of the Father isn't all its cracked up to be. maybe i might as well give it up for the bowl of stew in front of me.

this is when i most need Christ.

because somewhere in the depths of my soul i want to believe that My grace is sufficient for you, and to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or imagine, or Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful.

maybe its just me, but sometimes when you're hungry enough its easier to take the bowl of stew available because the blessing thats been promised looses its appeal. and i begin to think maybe i have a lot more in common with esau than i'd like to admit.

i've been offered some good smelling stew lately. so i'm gripping onto what i know from the sermon on the mount, hoping Christ will be enough.
Lord, lend your grace.
(in case you have no idea what i'm talking about, this is a story in the book of Genesis, in the Bible. if you want more info, let me know)

1 Comments:

Blogger Kara Newby said...

I keep thinking about that Shane and Shane song, that's just a prayer that the things of the earth will fade away, and God will taste sweeter. Maybe that's why Jesus talks about hungering after rightousness- we understand hunger so well. Jesus says, I want you to take that idea and know that I am better. I am the bread you long after. I AM the true fulfillment. But man, sometimes that little bowl looks so good.

Lewis would say, we are making mudpies in the dirt because we can't imagine what a day at the sea would be like.

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home