Amore y Pace

15.8.06

The Urban Outdoors and Sylvia Plath

"Grab an oar and start paddling". That's what a co-worker said to me today on my first day at my new job. The day went great and I'm pleased to inform you that I have 2 windows in my office which means my plants (yes they're still alive!) will be happy to be in a new home. I'm going to be located in one of their satellite locations which is much smaller. . . and much quieter.

They are sending me the next 3 days to a training downtown Chicago and I've been told I won't actually have clients or run any groups until after Labor Day-Whew. I'm also going to be working with some of their Wilderness Therapy and should be able to help with the next trip coming up in September to Cheese Country WI for some rock climbing. I'll keep you posted on what I get to do.

In the mean time I've been enjoying a little bit of the outdoors here in the city. Last week I took a trip with a big group from church kayaking down the chicago river. Total we did just at 7 miles down into the bay of the Lake to watch the fireworks off Navy Pier. It was stunning. We took off right at sunset and were out at least 4+ hours. I'll just say this: the Merchantile Mart looks like a ginormous castle from a kayak on the river. The buildings were spectacular as always, especially from the only green kayak on the river.

I was thinking about how people gave me a hard time that I'd be able to have the outdoors in the city. Of course they were all idiots and I'm the genius. Ladies and gentlemen you can have your cake, and lick the frosting.

Is it scary that I might have a lot in common with Ester?? Here's the latest from The Bell Jar on the matter:

"Remember how you asked me where would I like to live best, the country or the city? And I said I wanted to live in the country and in the city both?" Ester said.
"You could live between them. Then you could go to the city sometimes and to the country sometimes, " Buddy suggested.
"And you laughed and said I had the perfect setup of a true neurotic. Well you were right. I am neurotic. If neurotic is wanting two mutually exculsive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."
Buddy put his hand in mine, "Let me fly with you."

4 Comments:

Blogger Brian T. Murphy said...

bonita - I freaking love this post. the neurosis of wanting two mutually exclusive things is a neurosis with which I am well familiar.

thank you.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Willis, LCPC, CADC said...

Brian T Murphy: You are welcome.

Cheers to double mutual exclusion.

4:46 PM  
Blogger Kara Newby said...

ok, ok, I'm convinced. Stopping what I'm reading and going to the library this weekend to get Bell Jar. (Putting away the other three books I'm in the middle of)

12:08 AM  
Blogger Al said...

Yup, gotta pull out my old copy of TBJ. Don't actually ever remember reading it...this is a good reason. I am apparently "neurotic as hell" too.

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home